The Merchant’s House, Marlborough, Wiltshire
The Merchant’s House was built after the Great Fire of Marlborough, from 1653-1700, for Thomas Bayly who made his fortune in the silk trade. The house is typical of buildings of that period, of brick and timber, with a panelled interior and wall paintings. The conservation of such a historic house is a constant work in progress and decoration previously not known about is still being revealed in the painstaking process to restore The Merchant’s House to its former glory. When the rooms are open to the public there are demonstrations of costume making, needlework and historic paint conservation, and sometimes there is entertainment from musicians, all in keeping with the 17th century. Part of The Merchant’s House is given over to a shop where you can find some unusual gifts
Guided tours available and bookings for groups – please call in advance.
Open: April to end Oct on Tues, Fri and Sat 10.30am-4.00pm
T: 01672 511491 All information correct at the time of writing